27 Nov COOPERATION BETWEEN NASK AND CENTRAL OFFICE FOR COMBATING CYBERCRIME
The Scientific and Academic Computer Network – National Research Institute (NASK) and the Central Office for Combating Cybercrime (CBZC) have been effectively cooperating since the Central Office for Combating Cybercrime was established in January 2022. This cooperation has now been formalised through the signing of a special agreement. The day of signing of the agreement between NASK and CBZC will go down in history in a double context. Firstly, it will undoubtedly be seen as the beginning of a new phase of cooperation between two important institutions active in the field of combating cybercrime. On the other hand, it can be seen as the finale of multiple joint activities between the two organisations in recent months. This is the result of good and close cooperation, which has already proven itself many times in practice, making a real contribution to improving the state of cyber security in Poland. With the current agreement, this cooperation will continue in a more formalised manner.
The agreement was signed on 29 September 2023 at the premises of the NASK National Research Institute. Its stature is evidenced by the fact that, on the part of NASK, the signature was affixed by the Institute’s director Wojciech Pawlak, while the Central Bureau for Combating Cybercrime was represented by its commander, Chief inspector – Adam Cieślak.
The cooperation referred to in the agreement is to be implemented by:
- exchange of information on techniques and methods of criminals’ activities, as well as the scale of their occurrence within the scope of cases serviced by Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSRIT) NASK, as long as they are not covered by any of the legally protected secrets known to NASK;
- exchange of experience and ideas in the development and use of IT technologies – hardware and software;
- free-of-charge lending of IT technologies – hardware and software, supporting the work of CBZC officers and employees;
- carrying out joint projects and undertakings related to combating cybercrime, prevention activities and training;
- undertaking joint educational, preventive and informational projects, resulting from current needs.
It is worth recalling that, in practice, cooperation between the NASK CSIRT team, operating within NASK structures, and the Central Bureau for Combating Cybercrime had already been carried out regularly before the current agreement was signed. The employees of the CBZC were also co-authors of many publications carried out by NASK, co-hosted webinars, provided statistical data and were involved in many educational undertakings. One of the most recent examples of such cooperation is the Guide to Cyber Security in Online Relationships, produced in cooperation with the CBZC. The Act on combating abuse of electronic communications, which has been in force for a few days, should also be mentioned, as it introduces solutions aimed at limiting, among other things, the possibility of impersonating social trust institutions in telecommunications. NASK, the Office of Electronic Communications and the CBZC will cooperate closely in this area.
Keywords: cybersecurity, national cooperation, combating cybercrime